Thursday, April 27, 2006

My Lifetime Love Affair


My Lifetime Love Affair, that is what you are
I knew it the moment I saw you from afar
A smile that quickly turned my darkness into light
A feeling that from loneliness, I had finally won the fight

Some said we moved to fast, what did they know
We had things to do and places to go
Rings on fingers, heart in heart, lips on lips, and hand in hand
We knew we may stumble, but forever we'd stand

At first it was shaky, a lot of screaming and crying
But we didn't give up, we just kept on trying
We both simply knew we both believed in this love
And didn't even realize the help from above

We didn't have much at all, a small place to stay
Four walls and a roof, and that was ok
Despite all my fears, I couldn't help but realize
The very things I needed, were there in your eyes

I had no idea that the best was to come
I just knew where I was, and where I'd come from
Now the depth of our love is impossible to gauge
But ones thing's for sure, it gets better with age

Now here we are, better than any story or fable
With two brown-eyed angels here at our table
Who ever knew it would be so much fun
Smiles, tears, and laughter, and four hearts as one

Who needs riches, with fear, with stress, and with hassle
I've got three treasures at home in my castle
When I see the kids, my heart soars and flies
Because I see you when I look in their eyes

Better than any romance novel that I've ever read
I somehow still know the best is ahead
In our book of life, I'm happy and thrilled
That more pages remain empty than those that are filled

So what would I be doing, and where would I be
If I hadn't met you and you hadn't met me
One thing's for sure, we’ve always had God's favor
And every little drop, I'm determined to savor

There's times that I fail, and I let you all down
But you're there to help pick me up from the ground
Of the failures I have the and weakness I’m showing
You are the reason that I know I can keep on going

Your hair like soft silk, your eyes like the moon
Make me want to embrace you, whether morning or noon
Your bright smile, your body, from your head to your feet
Makes me feel like a kid, makes my heart skip a beat

So when God made us both, there was one thing He knew
You were created for me, I was created for you
So at the end of the day, it’s quite easy to see
You’re My Lifetime Love Affair and always will be

-jte

6 comments:

Stephenie said...

wow! it rhymed and everything. I had to hold myself back from analyzing the poetic elements! Classes are over!!!

anna said...

Now I'd like to hear how you two met and decided to marry.
Out with it, I like a good, romantic, true story. :)

Jeff said...

She's been asking for a poem for five years! I used to write her little poems in the "early days".

Since then, I've bought her clothes, perfume, even jewelry, but she's always responded with: "why can't you just write me a poem?!" Anyway, here it is :) Not too deep and reflective, just real.

I'm not much of a poet, but I can make rhyms. I think I do better with song lyrics than peoms, but I guess there's some similarities.

Some day soon I will reveal the story of the begining of our romance. I better not wait too long, your imaginitive versions may be more romatic than the real one! ;)

Colleen said...

I enjoyed your poem especially the focus - your love for your family. And women like poems more than purchased things because we know it takes some thought & effort to write a good poem and mostly because it reveals the heart of the writer. (how romantic - sigh):)

Stephenie said...

yes well, it was very nice quatraine aabb rhyme. Nice use of comparison with simile too.

Jeff said...

Steph - Thank you (I think ;)
I thought you said school was out..I guess you really were meant to be a teacher! :)