Thursday, April 06, 2006

Armstrong Is Not Just A Great Bicyclist.

Well, this week we finally got a new floor put into our kitchen, dining room, 1/2 bath, and main hallway! We bought the house 3 years ago and have been putting up with the ORIGINAL floor from 1965...which was unattractive, to say the very least! My wife has wanted the upgrade and quite frankly, really deserved it. Sorry you had to wait so long, hon.

We bought the house and it had lime green shag carpet. On top of being ugly it was as dry and scratchy as the hair on an elephant, and I swear it had dandruff. Well, after about a year, we decided to pull out the raggy-shaggy, which unveiled yet another wonderful 1960's treat...some very interesting linoleum. The bandaid-beige base color was bad itself, but all the decorative slices of various colors, shapes, and sizes, made it look like someone blew chunks all over ugly. Good news about the chunky-monkeys....the wide open, gaping nail holes from the carpet didn't show much, we just had to be careful not to snap off a toe by stepping into a nail hole. My poor wife.....I didn't care as much as her...I was only walkin on it, after all.

Three long years later we finally found the right deal at the right time on the right floor. We ended up getting one of the most beautiful vinyl floors I've ever seen (and the experienced installer, Steve, agreed with me :) It's from Armstrong's top-end, designer and durable line. Steve did a great job! Him and his girlfriend work as a team; they were really cool. We eneded up eating lunch with them the second day into it (via my gas grill) and I bought them lots of snacks over the 2 days they worked so hard. Steve and my 7 yr-old daughter had a great time joking around with eachother. She cried herself to sleep the night they fininshed up and headed home. We'll all take them out to dinner sometime soon...I'll see to it.

Anyway, I've been up late (2:00am) over the past couple of nights putting up the new baseboard. I took 3 days off from work, but couldn't do much trim work during the 2 days of install. I didn't think I'd ever get it all done. Bear in mind, me using saws, tapemeasures, and other tools is like a one-eyed, three-legged, severely retarded dog trying to perform open heart surgery. Good thing I bought lots of extra lengths. :)

Everything is now finally done except for re-installing the toilet, washer, and dryer which will be done tonight. Good thing...we have LOTS of laundry to do after being outside and then working for 4 days without a washer hooked up. We need clean laundry, now!! My 6 yr old son's underwear doesn't quite fit me like it should. Also, I need to get the toilet into the 1/2 bath and out of my Norton Shores front yard before I get arrested. This morning, I was discrete enough to cover it with a blue tarp. Yesterday, I joked around with my neighbor that I was going to use it as a planter. We are quite a bit loud and crazy at the Eikenberry household, but certainly not in a hill-billy kind of way. He laughed....but only after I started laughing first and he realized I was joking.

Anyway..thank God for our new floor! It looks even better than we thought it would!

-jeff

4 comments:

Stephenie said...

Jeff this is so awesome! I was wondering when you were going to get into the blogger loop. It looks great! Hey, can I link you from my site?

Colleen said...

I'm so glad you've become part of our blogger family! Home improvements can be an adventure but they sure are worth it.

Christopher said...

Jeff,

Isn't it nice to work on your own house? It's even more fun when the whole gang helps along with!. :) Again, cool blog, I love to laugh too. Here's to many funny stories together. You can jump to my blog from any of these wonderful ladies' blog.
P.S. Between you and me, the chatterbox comments are supposed to be really short, but I'm still learning. (Old joke! I learned this the hard way-ha,ha, not really)

Jeff said...

Yeah, I've been waiting for a beat-down about my long entries in the chatterbox too - I've posted a couple really long ones myself. :)