Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Music - You Rock My World


If you were to cut me, I would bleed music. It's in my veins. It's in my heart, in my soul, and in my spirit. It brings me closer to God. It brings me closer to the ones I love. It brings new dimensions to my life. Sometimes I hear chords of music that tug my heart strings so hard it makes me choke up, and there doesn't even have to be lyrics; just a really cool chord progression or instrument sound can do that to me.

I love playing in the worship band at church! All the band members are so cool. There's something about being in a band that's hard to explain with words. Each person has their own musical personality, and each instrument it's own "personality" too. Everyone is playing together; different parts and different sounds, but all the ingredients come together to form a wonderful concoction! When I'm there surrounded by my fellow musicians, I hear it all and I love it all. And it's all for worshiping God. I take it all in. Every guitar strum, every floor shaking note from the bass, every vocal harmony, every horn part, every smack on the drum or cymbal! It's then that I have had many of those defining moments in my life where I realize "I could do this forever - this is where I belong, this is what I was meant to do."

Sometimes I feel like listening to some smooth jazz, or slammin' hard rock, some funky R&B or rap, some crazy dance music, maybe Celtic or beautiful symphony music, and always some good worship tunes! I love it all!!

The majority of the music I listen to is Christian music. There is some secular music that I enjoy very much that can touch my heart and soul too, but there's a spiritual dimension to Christian music that brings along another wonderful element to the mix.

Music - who would I be without you?
You make me smile, you make me cry, you make my spirit touch the sky.

-jeff

5 comments:

Stephenie said...

I wish so much that i was a musician. i get so frusterated with myself sometimes that i'm not, and i feel so helpless sometimes. like with what is happening on sun pm right now. i feel so helpless b/c i can't do anything about it. i have to remind myself to be grateful for the gift that God has given me and not complain b/c i'm not gifted in another area.

i can identify with your love of being in a band. everyone is so unique and its an incredible feeling to be part of something so alive in its own arena. sometimes i just stop and take it in. yeah, i especially love the floor shaking bass! :)

Stephenie said...

man, those kids are cute!

Colleen said...

I'm not much of a singer or musician but I sure enjoy music and appreciating your gifts. Music is unique in how it can stir or echo our emotions. It's also great to be a part of something greater than just yourself - whether a band or the body of Christ.

Jeff said...

Colleen, I agree, it is very unique indeed and it is wonderful to be part of something greater!

Steph, I can identify with your frustrations; the guitar and keyboard people are the only one's who can pull it off alone.

Christopher said...

From Jubal with a harp and an organ(Gen 4:21) all the way to David and his trumpets(2 Chronicles 7:6), making music is an incredible form of worship. Impossible to duplicate in any other way. But, that is what is was created for! :)