Saturday, July 22, 2006

Brass Boys (and Chris) Lay It Down In The Studio

Well, sorry if it appears I’m stealing a post idea from Steph but you can’t take photos of recording a full cd in a studio and not post them on your blog. So, here are the pics from the Brass Boys and Percussion Genius Chris K during their long night in the studio on Monday, June 26, 2006 for the Oasis Project CD, entitled “DANCE”. We got there shortly after 5:00pm and didn’t wrap things up until about 10:30. After working all day, we were all so tired we starting lying around during some of the breaks between songs and technical difficulties. I won’t complain though, because both Rob and Chad had been up much, much earlier than I, and those poor guys also had to get up really early the next day as they both work very early shifts.

It worked out really well because Chris and us were in separate studios and he got to do his part first, which gave us horns a chance to practice through every song (while Chris did his track) before laying ours down!

We had a great time! Towards the end of the night, my chops were so trashed that Chad had to do my part on the high notes of “Now I Sing”. I was a bit upset, but my brothers gave me a great pat on the shoulder and the “it’s all good, man” encouragement, which helped immediately.

One of the highlights for me was the photo of Chris. For months, actually closer to years, Chris and I have energetically talked about how cool it would be to have a music video where a percussionist was shown playing a shaker super hard and fast up into a high-positioned mic in a studio. Well, when we got there, we knew what pic we had to take, our dream had come true. Maybe not in music video format with the full effect, but we could get a photo of what we’d talked about for so long! This is, and always will be, one of my favorite music photos for that reason.

At any rate…here they are:

Chris Rocking In The

Jeff Taking A Rest

Chad Between Tracks

Bebo Between Takes

Chad Screaming On The Trumpet

Jeff Blowing His Chops Off

Chris Chillin'

A Reflective ( or frustrated?) Barak

Rob & Jeff

4 comments:

Stephenie said...

aaaahhhhh, this post is so great! your pics turned out way better than mine did, but then the band actually looks like its doing something other than standing around, hee, hee!

Colleen said...

Thanks to both you and Steph for posting on your studio time. I can almost hear you and it's almost like I'm there! I'm also glad you both posted - it's like looking at the same picture through different lens. Great shots. What is the draw of the shaker shaken into a high-positioned mike? (head-scratch, shrug)

Stephenie said...

ya know i love that pic of barak. the way the shadow falls on him. it sorta speaks of the moment i think. really great photography!

Jeff said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. About the high shaker; it's purely a visual thing! :)